LegalZoom's Patent Service makes it easy to file a Provisional Application for Patent. The following is a step-by-step description of our complete Provisional Application process.
- Complete our easy online questionnaire.
Our questionnaire contains help text and examples to gather the information we need to complete your provisional patent application.
- You send an illustration of your invention.
Send us an illustration describing your invention. As an added convenience, professional illustration services are available for an additional fee.
- We complete a Patent Search (optional)
As an option, LegalZoom can complete a comprehensive patent search for prior art.
- Your Provisional Application for Patent is filed with the USPTO.
Once your illustrations are received, our LegalZip(R) software will create your provisional application for patent and we will file your application electronically with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). If you select the Professional Review and Preparation option, this step will be completed by a USPTO-registered patent agent or attorney.
- You'll receive a proof of delivery number.
A Provisional Application for Patent filing date is effective upon receipt of the application. Keep this number for your records.
- You receive official notice from the USPTO.
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office will send you an official filing receipt.