Reply to comment

Thank you for contacting LegalZoom for your online business needs. Corporations and LLCs are considered business entities, mainly because they offer personal liability protection from the business activities. They can have their own bank account and apply for their own licenses and permits. An alternative filing to registering for Corporation or an LLC may be to file for a DBA (Doing Business As) statement to allow you to operate with a trade name that is different from your personal name. Please take note that a DBA filing is not considered a separate entity like a Corporation or an LLC. You would still be operating as a sole-proprietorship but doing business with a different name.

Keep in mind health insurance providers have different policies to what you may need to provide to them to qualify. You may need to speak with them directly to find out more information on the type of filing that would be sufficient in your situation. LegalZoom can assist you to establish a Corporation, LLC, or DBA for you to operate as an independent contractor. If you are ready to start this process, please follow this link below.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact our Business Services Division directly at (888) 381-8758 to speak with a representative directly.


The LegalZoom Team


The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.