Name Change
Check Pricing
3-Step Process
Why LegalZoom?
Education Center
Name Change Education

Why LegalZoom

Home | Divorce & Name Change | Name Change
Name Change FAQs

What is involved in a court ordered name change?

There are three basic steps to having your name changed by a court. The first step is filing an action in the proper court with the applicable forms and fee. In most states, the petitioner (the individual making the request) must publish a notice in a local newspaper stating that the action for name change has been filed. Also, the petitioner may be required to notify specific individuals affected by the name change.