Name Change
Check Pricing
3-Step Process
Why LegalZoom?
Education Center
Name Change Education

Why LegalZoom

Home | Divorce & Name Change | Name Change
Name Change FAQs

How is a name change for a minor different from an adult name change?

In the case of individuals seeking a name change for a minor, one or more of the minor's parents usually files the petition. If only one parent is filing on behalf of the minor, it is usually helpful, and often required, if the absent parent consents to the name change. Complicated situations may arise if the non-custodial parent cannot be located, is incarcerated, or lives out of town. In a minor name change, consideration is given to whether the name change is in the best interests of the minor, and issues such as custody and parental notices are carefully examined.