Name Change
Check Pricing
3-Step Process
Why LegalZoom?
Education Center
Name Change Education

Why LegalZoom

Home | Divorce & Name Change | Name Change
Name Change FAQs

Do I have to go to court to file a name change?

Depending on your state, after filing the initial forms, you may be required to return to the courthouse to file forms proving that notice of the name change has been given to the public and individuals as required by the court. This is usually an affidavit supplied by the newspaper stating the publication dates.