The LegalZoom Copyright Service makes it easy to apply for federal copyright registration. The following is a step-by-step description of our complete copyright process:
- Complete our easy online questionnaire.
- We complete your copyright application.
We will review the information you provide for spelling, consistency and completeness before completing your application.
- You submit a copy of your original work.
To complete your copyright application, we will need one complete copy of your original work if it has not yet been published or two copies if your work has been published.
- We file your application with the U.S. Copyright Office.
Once we receive your materials, we will process your documents and electronically file them with the U.S. Copyright Office.
- A copyright registration is effective upon acceptance by the Copyright Office.
We will send you a signed proof of delivery, along with a cover letter.
- You receive a certificate of registration from the Copyright Office.
The Copyright Office will issue a certificate of registration to you directly by mail, typically within 6-9 months. LegalZoom will notify you when your application has been processed.