There are eight common elements in obtaining a bankruptcy discharge (i.e., eliminating or reducing your debts, or planning their repayment), although the details of these may vary depending on your situation. The attorney you find through LegalZoom will help you with the entire process which takes, on average, between four to six months.
- Attending a pre-filing credit counseling course at an approved credit counseling agency.
- Drafting paperwork with an attorney.
- Providing proof of your income over the past six months to determine eligibility.
- Determining which assets are safe in a bankruptcy.
- Filing paperwork with the bankruptcy court.
- Attending a short meeting with the United States Trustee.
- Attending an post-filing personal finance management class.
- Receiving a final discharge of debts from the bankruptcy court.