Knowledge Center

Name Change FAQ

How is a name change for a minor different from an adult name change?

In the case of individuals seeking a name change for a minor, one or more of the minor's parents usually files the petition. If only one parent is filing on behalf of the minor, it is usually helpful, and often required, if the absent parent consents to the name change. Complicated situations may arise if the non-custodial parent cannot be located, is incarcerated, or lives out of town. In a minor name change, consideration is given to whether the name change is in the best interests of the minor, and issues such as custody and parental notices are carefully examined.

Banner Icon Make today the day you start something amazing. Change your name in minutes. Get Started