Name Change Glossary

name change notice requirement

Under state laws, the court may require that notice of the Petition be personally served by a third party upon any "affected" party. "Affected" parties include individuals and agencies, such as the petitioner's children or spouse, the natural parents or guardian of a minor seeking a change of name, or state criminal records agencies. You may also be required to publish notice in a newspaper informing the general pubic of the requested name change.

In instances where an individual entitled to notice cannot be located for personal service, the court generally approves notice by publication.

Get help changing your legal name. LEARN MORE