Checklist for New Nonprofit Corporations
Incorporating your nonprofit and obtaining tax-exempt status are just two of many required steps. The following is a list of things to do or consider after starting a new nonprofit corporation.
- Establish a corporate banking account.
- Contact the state tax board for information about obtaining a state tax ID number and see if additional information must be submitted for state tax exemption.
- Check with the state Department of Consumer Affairs or Business Licensing to obtain any required business licenses or permits.
- Contact the state Attorney General's Office to see if registration or reporting is required.
- Find out about workers' compensation if you will have employees.
- Protect your trade name - contact LegalZoom for information on federal trademark and copyright services as well as fictitious business name registration.
Ready to form a nonprofit?
GET STARTED NOW