I live overseas in the republic of georgia, but maintain residence in maryland with my son. Where do I draft my will?

Jeffrey Lippman ∙ July 29, 2019

A more thorough exploration of your circumstances is required. If you are active duty military or a U.S. Government Foreign Service officer, you are lawfully permitted to select your State of residence and that State would be the appropriate place to have your Will apply. If you have property in the Republic of Georgia, the laws of that Country might apply. I recommend you confer with a local attorney on matters related to that sovereign country. With regards to any Maryland property and related estate issues such as guardianship preferences, a Maryland Will is recommended. However, a thorough consultation is recommended with your LegalZoom provider law firm and a local attorney in that Country. Jeffrey Lippman's offices are located in Leesburg, Virginia. Mr. Lippman is licensed to practice law in the District of Columbia and the state of Maryland, and his comments may only apply to those jurisdictions. If your question applies to a different jurisdiction you should check with an attorney in that jurisdiction. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation and any information you provide is not protected by attorney-client privilege.


Thanks for the feedback! Change answer

Ready to take the next step?

Pricing starts at $ 69