My wife and I come from second marriages. How do we make a will when we have a blended family?

Neil Siegel ∙ September 4, 2019

The best thing to do is consult with an attorney in your state to determine if a will or living trust is the document you will need. This is to protect both your spouse and children from previous relationships, and your existing relationship.

Your documents may be more complex, however, this is not an unusual scenario. After speaking to an attorney you will have a much better idea about the process. Further you will feel much more secure and comfortable once the document is complete.

Disclaimer: Neil Siegel

Neil Siegel's offices are located in Beachwood, Ohio. Mr. Siegel is licensed to practice law in the state of Ohio and his comments may only apply to that state. If your question applies to a different state you should check with an attorney in that state. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation and any information you provide is not protected by attorney-client privilege.


Thanks for the feedback! Change answer

Ready to take the next step?

Pricing starts at $ 69

ATTORNEY ADVERTISEMENT: This portion of the LegalZoom website is an advertisement for legal services. LegalZoom does not endorse or recommend any lawyer or law firm who advertises on our site. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. The information contained in this advertisement is not legal advice. Any information you submit through this site may not be protected by attorney-client privilege and may be provided to attorneys for the purpose of determining your needs for legal services. All case evaluations are performed by a participating attorney.

To see the attorney in your area who is responsible for this advertisement, please click here. If you live in Alabama, Missouri, or New York please click here for additional information.

This advertisement and all attorney services may be subject to additional terms and conditions, located on the website of each attorney. Please visit the website of the participating attorney in your area for more details. Any arrangement made by you and your attorney is strictly between you and them.