How do I setup my company to do business in another state?

Amy Hutchens ∙ July 9, 2019

The exact process varies by state. An example may be the best way to explain. Let's say you have an LLC and want to do business in Missouri. First you would obtain a certificate of good standing (aka certificate of existence) from the Secretary of State where the business is located. Then you would do the following: 1. File an application to register a foreign LLC with the Secretary of State in Missouri; 2. Provide the certificate of good standing; and 3. Pay the fee. Generally, the process is similar in most states but there may be additional requirements and the fees vary widely. Please consult an attorney licensed in the jurisdiction you plan to do business.

ATTORNEY ADVERTISEMENT. The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements. Amy Hutchens' offices are located in Kansas City, Missouri. Ms. Hutchens is licensed to practice law in the state of Kansas and Missouri and her comments may only apply in those states. If your question applies to a different state you should check with an attorney in that state. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation and any information you provide is not protected by attorney-client privilege.


Thanks for the feedback! Change answer

Ready to take the next step?

Pricing starts at $ 79

ATTORNEY ADVERTISEMENT: This portion of the LegalZoom website is an advertisement for legal services. LegalZoom does not endorse or recommend any lawyer or law firm who advertises on our site. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. The information contained in this advertisement is not legal advice. Any information you submit through this site may not be protected by attorney-client privilege and may be provided to attorneys for the purpose of determining your needs for legal services. All case evaluations are performed by a participating attorney.

To see the attorney in your area who is responsible for this advertisement, please click here. If you live in Alabama, Missouri, or New York please click here for additional information.

This advertisement and all attorney services may be subject to additional terms and conditions, located on the website of each attorney. Please visit the website of the participating attorney in your area for more details. Any arrangement made by you and your attorney is strictly between you and them.