Calif. My sister is in charge of the trust my mom has established. Mom is 98 yrs old. Neither my mom or sister will provide the 3 other siblings with a copy of the trust. How can we get a copy of mom's (paperwork) trust?

Viktoriya S. ∙ September 9, 2019

Unfortunately, Living Trust is a private document; therefore, no one is entitled to the copy of the Trust while your mother is alive. She is a Grantor of the Trust and she is the only one who can have the original Living Trust or copy. However, when Grantor passes away, successor trustee (in this case your sister) must notify you if your are a beneficiary under mother's Living Trust. If your are designated as a beneficiary, then you will be entitled to the copy of the Living Trust.

Viktoriya Shaykhutdinova’s offices are located in Pasadena, California. Viktoriya Shaykhutdinova is licensed to practice law in in the state of California and her comments may only apply to that state. If your question applies to a different state, you should check with an attorney in that state. The information is not, nor is it intended to be a legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation and any information you provide is not protected by attorney-client privilege.


Thanks for the feedback! Change answer

Ready to take the next step?

Pricing starts at $ 249

ATTORNEY ADVERTISEMENT: This portion of the LegalZoom website is an advertisement for legal services. LegalZoom does not endorse or recommend any lawyer or law firm who advertises on our site. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. The information contained in this advertisement is not legal advice. Any information you submit through this site may not be protected by attorney-client privilege and may be provided to attorneys for the purpose of determining your needs for legal services. All case evaluations are performed by a participating attorney.

To see the attorney in your area who is responsible for this advertisement, please click here. If you live in Alabama, Missouri, or New York please click here for additional information.

This advertisement and all attorney services may be subject to additional terms and conditions, located on the website of each attorney. Please visit the website of the participating attorney in your area for more details. Any arrangement made by you and your attorney is strictly between you and them.