What happens to my living trust if I move to canada from the us?

Viktoriya S. ∙ August 26, 2019

Moving to Canada and continuing to hold a U.S. Revocable Living Trust might present some tax issues in the future. Especially, if you move to Canada on a permanent basis. I strongly recommend you contact an estate planning attorney familiar with Canadian tax law in order to make a decision about keeping your Living Trust in the U.S. or dissolving it.
Viktoriya Shaykhutdinova's offices are located in Pasadena, California. Viktoriya Shaykhutdinova is licensed to practice law in the state of California and her comments may only apply to that state. If your question applies to a different state you should check with an attorney in that state. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation and any information you provide is not protected by attorney-client privilege.


Thanks for the feedback! Change answer

Ready to take the next step?

Pricing starts at $ 249

Viktoriya S. ∙ 2019-08-26T21:59:39-04:00

I would get a consultation on Canadian law first, and how it will treat your U.S. Living Trust if you create one. Then, I suggest you to schedule a consultation with you Legal Zoom provider law firm to discuss the necessity of the Living trust for your family in the U.S. for the next 2-4 years. Your situation might involve some personal details. Also, the U.S. Living Trust will be legal, when you cross the border, but the tax treatment might not be the best for you in Canada when you keep U.S. Living Trust. Therefore, you will need to create a new Living Trust in Canada. The main concern is Canadian tax law.


Thanks for the feedback! Change answer

ATTORNEY ADVERTISEMENT: This portion of the LegalZoom website is an advertisement for legal services. LegalZoom does not endorse or recommend any lawyer or law firm who advertises on our site. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. The information contained in this advertisement is not legal advice. Any information you submit through this site may not be protected by attorney-client privilege and may be provided to attorneys for the purpose of determining your needs for legal services. All case evaluations are performed by a participating attorney.

To see the attorney in your area who is responsible for this advertisement, please click here. If you live in Alabama, Missouri, or New York please click here for additional information.

This advertisement and all attorney services may be subject to additional terms and conditions, located on the website of each attorney. Please visit the website of the participating attorney in your area for more details. Any arrangement made by you and your attorney is strictly between you and them.