Where do I go to make an amendment to my trust?

Giancarlo R. ∙ June 23, 2019

You can amend your trust by creating an amendment yourself. First, title the amendment (for example, “Amendment to the Jane Smith Living Trust”.) In the body of the amendment make sure that you include the trust grantors and the trustees as shown on the original documents, and the original date of the trust. Next, reference the specific section you are changing and detail the change.
For example, if Article 7 stated that Johnny Jones is your sole beneficiary, and you instead wanted Danny Davis as the sole beneficiary, you could write, “Article 7 is amended as follows: Danny Davis is the sole beneficiary of my estate.” Finally, sign and notarize the amendment, and keep the signed and notarized copy of the amendment with the original trust documents in a safe and secure place.

Giancarlo Recinos' offices are located in Pasadena, California. Giancarlo Recinos is licensed to practice law in the state of California and their comments may only apply to that state. If your question applies to a different state you should check with an attorney in that state. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation and any information you provide is not protected by attorney-client privilege.


Thanks for the feedback! Change answer

Ready to take the next step?

Pricing starts at $ 249

ATTORNEY ADVERTISEMENT: This portion of the LegalZoom website is an advertisement for legal services. LegalZoom does not endorse or recommend any lawyer or law firm who advertises on our site. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. The information contained in this advertisement is not legal advice. Any information you submit through this site may not be protected by attorney-client privilege and may be provided to attorneys for the purpose of determining your needs for legal services. All case evaluations are performed by a participating attorney.

To see the attorney in your area who is responsible for this advertisement, please click here. If you live in Alabama, Missouri, or New York please click here for additional information.

This advertisement and all attorney services may be subject to additional terms and conditions, located on the website of each attorney. Please visit the website of the participating attorney in your area for more details. Any arrangement made by you and your attorney is strictly between you and them.