I am disabled and have a special needs trust, but no will or plan for who will be recieve my estate after my death or supervise if I cannot think anymore. My trustee for special needs trust is in il but I dont think she should be my medical poa as well. I live in ca, but trust is in il. I don't know what state to use, or what I else I need to protect myself. Is a simple will is enough to select beneficiaries & provide for my pets, and what other legal documents I should have? Thanks

Jeffrey Lippman ∙ September 23, 2019

Your estate plan, especially items like a Medical Advanced Directive, should be from your State of legal residency. That sounds like Illinois. This should not impact your Special Needs Trust, but you want to make sure other estate planning documents like a Will or Living Trust works hand and hand with the Special Needs Trust. To discuss the specifics and the right option(s) for you, please schedule a consultation with your LegalZoom provider firm.

Jeffrey Lippman's offices are located in Leesburg, Virginia. Mr. Lippman is licensed to practice law in the District of Columbia and the state of Maryland, and his comments may only apply to those jurisdictions. If your question applies to a different jurisdiction you should check with an attorney in that jurisdiction. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation and any information you provide is not protected by attorney-client privilege.


Thanks for the feedback! Change answer

Ready to take the next step?

Pricing starts at $ 9.99

ATTORNEY ADVERTISEMENT: This portion of the LegalZoom website is an advertisement for legal services. LegalZoom does not endorse or recommend any lawyer or law firm who advertises on our site. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. The information contained in this advertisement is not legal advice. Any information you submit through this site may not be protected by attorney-client privilege and may be provided to attorneys for the purpose of determining your needs for legal services. All case evaluations are performed by a participating attorney.

To see the attorney in your area who is responsible for this advertisement, please click here. If you live in Alabama, Missouri, or New York please click here for additional information.

This advertisement and all attorney services may be subject to additional terms and conditions, located on the website of each attorney. Please visit the website of the participating attorney in your area for more details. Any arrangement made by you and your attorney is strictly between you and them.