My grandmother made me acting power of attorney when she becomes incapable of handling her finances and medical. She in now by order of a physician (which I have) unable to handle these affairs any longer so I need to activate her power of attorney so I can begin helping her. Can this be helped on legal zoom?

Cody R Cooper ∙ August 28, 2019

This depends on the language within the document itself and the laws of the state your grandmother is in, but typically you do not need any additional paperwork beyond the Power of Attorney and proof of incapacity from the physician. From there, you contact the financial institutions and provide them the power of attorney/incapacity documentation. I would contact a LegalZoom attorney in the state your grandma is in for further assistance on the process of gaining authority.

Cody Cooper's offices are located in Pasadena, California. Cody Cooper is licensed to practice law in the state of California and their comments may only apply to that state. If your question applies to a different state you should check with an attorney in that state. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation and any information you provide is not protected by attorney-client privilege.


Thanks for the feedback! Change answer

Ready to take the next step?

Pricing starts at $ 9.99

ATTORNEY ADVERTISEMENT: This portion of the LegalZoom website is an advertisement for legal services. LegalZoom does not endorse or recommend any lawyer or law firm who advertises on our site. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. The information contained in this advertisement is not legal advice. Any information you submit through this site may not be protected by attorney-client privilege and may be provided to attorneys for the purpose of determining your needs for legal services. All case evaluations are performed by a participating attorney.

To see the attorney in your area who is responsible for this advertisement, please click here. If you live in Alabama, Missouri, or New York please click here for additional information.

This advertisement and all attorney services may be subject to additional terms and conditions, located on the website of each attorney. Please visit the website of the participating attorney in your area for more details. Any arrangement made by you and your attorney is strictly between you and them.