I am in nc and my mother passed away and she was on the deed of her home. I am currently over her estate which her home is in (estate) because she didn't have a will. My father stays in the home currently and I need his name on the deed. How do I go about adding his name to the deed or getting a new deed for him?

Bryan Zlimen ∙ June 19, 2019

Generally a probate would be needed to transfer title to property, though laws regarding transfer of property vary by state. If the home was owned as Joint Tenants, you may be able to make the transfer without probating the home, but that would need to be determined by reviewing the title to the home. Check out LegalZoom’s Legal Plan. Membership provides access to provider attorneys licensed in your state that can discuss with you your specific situation, your rights, applicable State and Federal laws, and remedies or options.

Bryan Zlimen is licensed to practice law in the state of Minnesota, and his comments may only apply to that jurisdiction. If your question applies to a different jurisdiction you should check with an attorney in that jurisdiction. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation and any information you provide is not protected by attorney-client privilege.


Thanks for the feedback! Change answer

Ready to take the next step?

Pricing starts at $ 249

ATTORNEY ADVERTISEMENT: This portion of the LegalZoom website is an advertisement for legal services. LegalZoom does not endorse or recommend any lawyer or law firm who advertises on our site. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. The information contained in this advertisement is not legal advice. Any information you submit through this site may not be protected by attorney-client privilege and may be provided to attorneys for the purpose of determining your needs for legal services. All case evaluations are performed by a participating attorney.

To see the attorney in your area who is responsible for this advertisement, please click here. If you live in Alabama, Missouri, or New York please click here for additional information.

This advertisement and all attorney services may be subject to additional terms and conditions, located on the website of each attorney. Please visit the website of the participating attorney in your area for more details. Any arrangement made by you and your attorney is strictly between you and them.