I'm in texas. I have a special warranty deed to remove my ex husband from the deed to my house. What is the proper way to file that?

Bryan Zlimen ∙ September 11, 2019

In most states, you would reach out to the county recorder's office for the county that the property is located in. They should be able tell you how much the filing fee will be and if there is any other documentation you will need to submit beyond the executed deed. I'm not licensed in Texas, but if you're a LegalZoom Plan member you could schedule an appointment with a Texas-licensed attorney who can give you more specific guidance.

Bryan Zlimen is licensed to practice law in the state of Minnesota, and his comments may only apply to that jurisdiction. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation and any information you provide is not protected by attorney-client privilege.


Thanks for the feedback! Change answer

Ready to take the next step?

Pricing starts at $ 249

ATTORNEY ADVERTISEMENT: This portion of the LegalZoom website is an advertisement for legal services. LegalZoom does not endorse or recommend any lawyer or law firm who advertises on our site. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. The information contained in this advertisement is not legal advice. Any information you submit through this site may not be protected by attorney-client privilege and may be provided to attorneys for the purpose of determining your needs for legal services. All case evaluations are performed by a participating attorney.

To see the attorney in your area who is responsible for this advertisement, please click here. If you live in Alabama, Missouri, or New York please click here for additional information.

This advertisement and all attorney services may be subject to additional terms and conditions, located on the website of each attorney. Please visit the website of the participating attorney in your area for more details. Any arrangement made by you and your attorney is strictly between you and them.