Do I need an mc number or any other kind of permit to start driving? I just want to know if there a minimum so I can get on the road just planning local until business picks up and I a m in california.

Cody R Cooper ∙ July 24, 2019

I'm assuming this is for commercial driving where you haul goods. In that case, California requires a Motor Carrier Permit to start driving registered through the DMV. That being said, if you are a moving company of household goods (think the movers who move you house to house), you do not need a Motor Carrier permit, but instead are required to obtain a license through the Public Utilities Commission. I strongly suggest setting up a consultation with a LegalZoom attorney advisor so that the attorney and you can discuss the topic more in depth.

Cody Cooper's offices are located in Pasadena, California. Cody Cooper is licensed to practice law in the state of California and their comments may only apply to that state. If your question applies to a different state you should check with an attorney in that state. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation and any information you provide is not protected by attorney-client privilege.


Thanks for the feedback! Change answer

Ready to take the next step?

Pricing starts at $ 99

ATTORNEY ADVERTISEMENT: This portion of the LegalZoom website is an advertisement for legal services. LegalZoom does not endorse or recommend any lawyer or law firm who advertises on our site. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. The information contained in this advertisement is not legal advice. Any information you submit through this site may not be protected by attorney-client privilege and may be provided to attorneys for the purpose of determining your needs for legal services. All case evaluations are performed by a participating attorney.

To see the attorney in your area who is responsible for this advertisement, please click here. If you live in Alabama, Missouri, or New York please click here for additional information.

This advertisement and all attorney services may be subject to additional terms and conditions, located on the website of each attorney. Please visit the website of the participating attorney in your area for more details. Any arrangement made by you and your attorney is strictly between you and them.