The LegalZoom Copyrights Process
LegalZoom's Copyright Service makes it easy to file for federal copyright protection. We take care of all the
details—from start to finish. The following is a step-by-step description of our complete copyright process:
- Complete our easy online questionnaire.
- We prepare your copyright application.
We will review the information you provide for consistency and completeness before preparing your application.
- You submit a copy of your original work.
To complete your copyright application, we will need one complete copy of your original work or two copies if your work has been published.
- We file your application with the U.S. Copyright Office.
Once we receive your materials, we will process your documents and electronically file them with the U.S. Copyright Office.
- A copyright registration is effective upon receipt by the Copyright Office.
We will send you a signed proof of delivery, along with a cover letter.
- You receive a certificate of registration from the Copyright Office.
The Copyright Office will issue a certificate of registration to you
directly by mail, typically within 6-9 months. LegalZoom will notify you when your application has been processed.