Make a patent assignment in minutes
Transfer patent rights with ease.Create now
SAMPLE PATENT ASSIGNMENT
This patent assignment is between
The Assignor has full right and title to the patents and patent applications listed in Exhibit A (collectively, the "Patents").
The Assignor wishes to transfer to the Assignee, and the Assignee wishes to purchase and receive from the Assignor, all of its interest in the Patents.
The parties therefore agree as follows:
1. ASSIGNMENT OF PATENTS.
The Assignor assigns to the Assignee, and the Assignee accepts the assignment of, all of the Assignor's interest in the following in the United States and its territories and throughout the world:
- (a) the Patents listed in Exhibit A;
- (b) the patent claims, all rights to prepare derivative works, goodwill, and other rights to the Patents;
- (c) all registrations, applications (including any divisions, continuations, continuations-in-part, and reissues of those applications), corresponding domestic and foreign applications, letters patents, or similar legal protections issuing on the Patents, and all rights and benefits under any applicable treaty or convention;
- (d) all income, royalties, and damages payable to the Assignor with respect to the Patents, including damages and payments for past or future infringements of the Patents; and
- (e) all rights to sue for past, present, and future infringements of the Patents.
The Assignee shall pay the Assignor a flat fee of
In order to record this assignment with the United States Patent and Trademark Office and foreign patent offices, within
4. NO EARLY ASSIGNMENT.
The Assignee shall not assign or otherwise encumber its interest in the Patents or any associated registrations until it has paid to the Assignor the full consideration provided for in this assignment. Any assignment or encumbrance contrary to this provision shall be void.
- (a) General Assistance. As soon as is reasonably possible following a request from the Assignee, the Assignor shall provide the Assignee with a complete copy of all documentation (in any format) relating to the Patents for the Assignee's own use, to meet record-keeping requirements of the Assignee, or to allow the Assignee to assert its rights granted under this assignment. The Assignor shall also, on request and without further consideration:
- (1) sign any additional papers, including any separate assignments of the Patents, necessary to record the assignment in the United States;
- (2) do all other lawful acts reasonable and necessary to record the assignment in the United States; and
- (3) sign all lawful papers necessary for Assignee to retain a patent on the Patents or on any continuing or reissue applications of those Patents.
- (b) Agency. If for any reason the Assignee is unable to obtain the assistance of the Assignor, the Assignor hereby appoints the Assignee as the Assignor's agent to act on behalf of the Assignor to take any of the steps listed in subsection (a).
6. NO LICENSE.
After the effective date of this agreement, the Assignor shall make no further use of the Patents or any patent equivalent, except as authorized by the prior written consent of the Assignee. The Assignor shall not challenge the Assignee's use or ownership, or the validity, of the Patents.
7. ASSIGNOR'S REPRESENTATIONS.
The Assignor hereby represents to the Assignee that it:
- (a) is the sole owner of all interest in the Patents;
- (b) has not transferred, exclusively licensed, or encumbered the Patents or agreed to do so;
- (c) is not aware of any violation or infringement of any third party's rights (or a claim of a violation or infringement) by the Patents;
- (d) is not aware of any third-party consents, assignments, or licenses that are necessary to perform under this assignment;
- (e) was not acting within the scope of employment of any third party when conceiving, creating, or otherwise performing any activity with respect to the Patents.
The Assignor shall immediately notify the Assignee in writing if any facts or circumstances arise that would make any of the representations in this assignment inaccurate.
(a) any claim by a third party that the Patents or their creation, use, exploitation, assignment, importation, or sale infringes on any patent or other intellectual property; (b) any claim by a third party that this assignment conflicts with, violates, or breaches any contract, assignment, license, sublicense, security interest, encumbrance, or other obligation to which the Assignor is a party or of which it has knowledge; (c) any claim relating to any past, present, or future use, licensing, sublicensing, distribution, marketing, disclosure, or commercialization of any of the Patents by the Assignor; and (d) any litigation, arbitration, judgments, awards, attorneys' fees, liabilities, settlements, damages, losses, and expenses relating to or arising from (a), (b), or (c) above. (a) Third-Party Infringement. If any Patent infringes on a United States patent of a third party not affiliated with the Assignee, the Assignor shall indemnify the Assignee against that claim, if all of the following are true: (i) the Assignee promptly notifies the Assignor of that claim; (ii) the Assignor controls the defense and settlement of that claim; (iii) the Assignee fully cooperates with the Assignor in connection with its defense and settlement of that claim; (iv) the Assignee stops all creation, public use, exploitation, importation, distribution, or sales of or relating to the infringing Patents, if requested by the Assignor.
(b) Post Enjoinment. If the Assignee is enjoined from further use of any infringing Patent or if the Assignee stops using any Patent because of the Assignor's request (as described in (iv) above), the Assignor shall, at its own expense and option: (i) obtain the right for the Assignee to continue to use the infringing Patent; (ii) modify the infringing Patent to eliminate the infringement; (iii) provide a substitute noninfringing patent to the Assignee pursuant to this assignment; or (iv) refund to the Assignee the amount paid under this assignment for the infringing Patent.
(c) No Other Obligations. The Assignor shall have no other obligations or liability if infringement occurs, and shall have no other obligation of indemnification or to defend relating to infringement. The Assignor shall not be liable for any costs or expenses incurred without its prior written authorization and shall have no obligation of indemnification or any liability if the infringement is based on (i) any modified form of the Patents not made by the Assignor, (ii) any finding or ruling after the effective date of this assignment, or (iii) the laws of any country other than the United States of America or its states.
9. GOVERNING LAW.
- (a) Choice of Law. The laws of the state of
govern this agreement (without giving effect to its conflicts of law principles).
- (b) Choice of Forum. Both parties consent to the personal jurisdiction of the state and federal courts in
No amendment to this assignment will be effective unless it is in writing and signed by a party or its authorized representative.
11. ASSIGNMENT AND DELEGATION.
- (a) No Assignment. Neither party may assign any of its rights under this assignment, except with the prior written consent of the other party. All voluntary assignments of rights are limited by this subsection.
- (b) No Delegation. Neither party may delegate any performance under this assignment, except with the prior written consent of the other party.
- (c) Enforceability of an Assignment or Delegation. If a purported assignment or purported delegation is made in violation of this section, it is void.
12. COUNTERPARTS; ELECTRONIC SIGNATURES.
- (a) Counterparts. The parties may execute this assignment in any number of counterparts, each of which is an original but all of which constitute one and the same instrument.
- (b) Electronic Signatures. This assignment, agreements ancillary to this assignment, and related documents entered into in connection with this assignment are signed when a party's signature is delivered by facsimile, email, or other electronic medium. These signatures must be treated in all respects as having the same force and effect as original signatures.
If any one or more of the provisions contained in this assignment is, for any reason, held to be invalid, illegal, or unenforceable in any respect, that invalidity, illegality, or unenforceability will not affect any other provisions of this assignment, but this assignment will be construed as if those invalid, illegal, or unenforceable provisions had never been contained in it, unless the deletion of those provisions would result in such a material change so as to cause completion of the transactions contemplated by this assignment to be unreasonable.
- (a) Writing; Permitted Delivery Methods. Each party giving or making any notice, request, demand, or other communication required or permitted by this assignment shall give that notice in writing and use one of the following types of delivery, each of which is a writing for purposes of this assignment: personal delivery, mail (registered or certified mail, postage prepaid, return-receipt requested), nationally recognized overnight courier (fees prepaid), facsimile, or email.
- (b) Addresses. A party shall address notices under this section to a party at the following addresses:
- If to the Assignor:
- If to the Assignee:
- (c) Effectiveness. A notice is effective only if the party giving notice complies with subsections (a) and (b) and if the recipient receives the notice.
No waiver of a breach, failure of any condition, or any right or remedy contained in or granted by the provisions of this assignment will be effective unless it is in writing and signed by the party waiving the breach, failure, right, or remedy. No waiver of any breach, failure, right, or remedy will be deemed a waiver of any other breach, failure, right, or remedy, whether or not similar, and no waiver will constitute a continuing waiver, unless the writing so specifies.
16. ENTIRE AGREEMENT.
This assignment constitutes the final agreement of the parties. It is the complete and exclusive expression of the parties' agreement about the subject matter of this assignment. All prior and contemporaneous communications, negotiations, and agreements between the parties relating to the subject matter of this assignment are expressly merged into and superseded by this assignment. The provisions of this assignment may not be explained, supplemented, or qualified by evidence of trade usage or a prior course of dealings. Neither party was induced to enter this assignment by, and neither party is relying on, any statement, representation, warranty, or agreement of the other party except those set forth expressly in this assignment. Except as set forth expressly in this assignment, there are no conditions precedent to this assignment's effectiveness.
The descriptive headings of the sections and subsections of this assignment are for convenience only, and do not affect this assignment's construction or interpretation.
This assignment will become effective when all parties have signed it. The date this assignment is signed by the last party to sign it (as indicated by the date associated with that party's signature) will be deemed the date of this assignment.
19. NECESSARY ACTS; FURTHER ASSURANCES.
Each party shall use all reasonable efforts to take, or cause to be taken, all actions necessary or desirable to consummate and make effective the transactions this assignment contemplates or to evidence or carry out the intent and purposes of this assignment.
[SIGNATURE PAGE FOLLOWS]
Each party is signing this agreement on the date stated opposite that party's signature.
[PAGE BREAK HERE]
PATENTS AND APPLICATIONS
|INVENTION NAME||INVENTOR'S NAME||DATE(S) OF EXECUTION OF DECLARATION||REGISTRATION OR APPLICATION NUMBER||REGISTRATION OR FILING DATE|
[PAGE BREAK HERE]
FORM OF RECORDABLE PATENT APPLICATION ASSIGNMENT
For good and valuable consideration, the receipt of which is hereby acknowledged, between
Each party is signing this agreement on the date stated opposite that party's signature.
[PAGE BREAK HERE]
|INVENTION NAME||INVENTOR'S NAME||**DATE(S) OF EXECUTIONOF DECLARATION **||REGISTRATION OR APPLICATION NUMBER||REGISTRATION OR FILING DATE|
Why use our help with legal forms? A million reasons
A successful track record
Almost two million businesses have trusted us to help get them started, and millions have let us help them grow, no matter what shape or size.
Our carefully prepared questionnaires take out the guess work. Your answers fill in the forms easily and correctly, the first time.
Real, live support
We have customer support specialists just a phone call away to help steer you in the right direction.
Here's the info you'll need to have handy to complete your doc:
Who the assignor is
Have their name and contact info ready.
Who the assignee is
Have their information available, too.
Know the inventor's name and the invention's registration number and date.
What's a patent assignment?
If you want to buy patents, the first step is to make sure that the seller owns the patent rights. The second step is the transfer of the patent owner's rights to the buyer. A patent assignment is an agreement that covers both steps, helping both the buyer and the seller by providing records of ownership and transfer.