Contact us

Customer care

(888) 379-0854

Mon-Fri: 5 a.m.-7 p.m. PT
Weekends: 7 a.m.-4 p.m. PT


(855) 787-1922

Mon-Fri: 5 a.m.-7 p.m. PT
Weekends: 7 a.m.-4 p.m. PT

Ask a question

Our agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Frequently asked questions

Top questions

You can track the status of your order in My Account. Once you sign in, check the Completed Orders tab to see if it has been shipped to your address, or made available online. If it hasn't yet, check the Open Orders tab. On the order, you'll see more info on its current status.

A registered agent is an adult or authorized business that's around during normal business hours to accept mail or hand-delivered court documents on your behalf. They must have a physical address—not a PO Box—in the same state where your business formed or got foreign qualified.

You're required to have a registered agent in most states, and you have the freedom to name the one you want—even yourself.

When you use our Registered Agent Services, you can be confident your legal notices are in good hands. We'll alert you to all important mail we receive on your behalf, and we'll also give you helpful extras, such as identity theft protection and emails about upcoming deadlines.

To learn more, watch a short video or read why you need a registered agent.

You can see all of your payments in My Account. Once you sign in, go to the Account tab, then to the Payment History section. On each payment, you'll see more details along with the option to print a receipt. If you don't see the payment in your account, please call us at (888) 310-0151.
When forming your business, you must have chosen to use our Registered Agent Services. Through these services, we'll alert you to all legal notices and other important mail we've received on your behalf. This charge appears when we send your documents to the state. The service renews automatically at the purchase rate each year, and is billed to your card. The renewal rate is subject to change. Learn more about Registered Agent Services or call us at (888) 310-0151 if you need additional help.
There's likely a small discrepancy between the personal info on your EIN application, and the personal info on file with the IRS. For example, you might have mistyped your Social Security number. Please call us at (800) 773-0888 and we'll help fix the issue. For your security, we ask that you don't email us sensitive personal info.
Depending on your profession and state's licensing board, you might be required to operate as either a professional LLC or a professional corporation. To find out, please contact your state's licensing board directly. Tip: You can also find out if there's a requirement to name your business a certain way (for example, some states require dentists to include "DDS" in their business names).
You can track the status of your order in My Account. Sign in and go to either the Completed Orders tab, or the Open Orders tab. From there, you'll be able to check your order status. If you see that we're about to assemble or ship, that means your business name has been approved by the state. If there's an issue, we'll let you know in your account and reach out to you.

We're sorry to see you go! For orders, please call (800) 773-0888. For subscriptions, you have two options:

  • Sign in to My Account. Go to the Account tab, then the Manage Payments section. Click on your subscription, then the Cancel link.

  • Call (888) 310-0151.

We're available to help you by phone, Monday-Friday, from 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. PT. We'd also love to get your feedback on how we can improve and serve you better.

Need to cancel Registered Agent Services? Please see the question below.

Most states require you to have a registered agent on file at all times. So before you can cancel, you'll need to name a new one and file the change with the state. Once you've done that, we'll need to see proof of the change (a copy of the filed doc, a copy of an annual report that includes the new registered agent, or a screenshot of your registered agent's info on the state's site). When you're ready, you can upload proof of the change and cancel in My Account. Once you sign in, go to the Account tab, then the Manage Payments section. Click on your Registered Agent Services subscription, then the cancel link.
Email the form to, and include the order number for your Registered Agent Services in the subject line. You can find your order number in My Account. It should take 1-2 business days for us to sign and return the form to you.
Check your inbox for an email from us with the subject line "Action Required." You'll see instructions on what to do (some docs can be emailed or faxed, while others must be mailed).
If we emailed you about the doc, you can reply back with the correct info. You can also send the correct info to It should take 1-2 business days for us to update the doc and return it to you.
Some documents are available to view and download online, and we hope to add more in the future. If you've used our services to create an estate planning document (a last will, a living trust, etc.), you'll have online access to the primary document, signing instructions, and guides. And if you've formed an LLC or corporation with us, you'll have access to the articles, the bylaws/operating agreement, and signing instructions.

To download documents, sign in to My Account, go to the Completed Orders tab, then click the document name or order number. If the document is available online, you'll see it on the right under Download Center.

Depending on the document, you'll either receive it in the mail or be able to download it online. To see if a document is available online, sign in to My Account. Go to the Completed Orders tab, then click the document name or order number. If the document is available online, you'll see it on the right under Download Center. If it's not available, write us at to request a copy.
You can print receipts for your orders in My Account. If the order is under the Open Order tab, click the printer icon next to the order number. If the order is under the Completed Orders tab, click the order number, and click the printer icon.
On the sign-in page, click "Forgot password?" to enter the email address associated with your account. We'll email you a link to reset your password. If you don't see the email, check your junk or spam folder. Once you click the link in the email, you'll be able to create a new password.
You can mange your authorized contacts in your account. Once you sign in, go to the Account tab, then to the Authorized Contacts section. Keep in mind authorized contacts will have access to your account and orders, and they can receive customer support on your behalf. You can add as many authorized contacts as you like.


It's an important decision with a number of factors to consider. Is it a for-profit business or or a nonprofit? Are you considering outside investors? Will you be providing a professional service? It can feel overwhelming, but we're here to help you understand your options and choose the right one. Learn about business structures, or answer a few questions to get help deciding.

For more personalized advice, you can sign up for our Business Legal Plan to connect with an independent attorney.

Both protect owners so they're not personally on the hook for business liabilities or debts. But key differences include how they're owned (LLCs have one or more members and corporations have shareholders) and maintained (corporations generally have more formal record-keeping and reporting requirements). Even though LLCs are considered easier to start and maintain, investors tend to prefer corporations. To learn more, see our comparison chart.
It depends on the business structure you want, the package you choose, and the state where you form (state filing fees can vary). Choose an option below to see the available packages and pricing details:




DBA (doing business as)

Not sure which is right for you? Answer a few questions to get help deciding.

Most people form in the state where they plan to do business, which is often the easiest and most cost-effective option. If you register your business in a different state, you'll still need to register in the state where you do business, so you could face additional filing fees, paperwork, and possibly state tax liability.
Not all businesses need EINs—it depends on your business structure and tax classification. The IRS requires corporations and partnerships to have an EIN, and if a limited liability company (LLC) is taxed as a corporation or a partnership, then it must have an EIN as well. Learn more about EINs, or let us help you get one.
Please call us at (855) 787-1922 to get help making changes to your business.
It depends on your business type, the package you choose, and the state where you form. Once you place an order, you can track its status in My Account. Choose an option below to see the available packages and estimated processing times:




DBA (doing business as)

We ship your corporate bylaws or LLC operating agreement to you unsigned. These documents must be signed by the people actively participating in your company (we've included detailed instructions with your order). These documents do not need to be filed with the state. Once signed, keep them in a safe place along with your filed business formation documents.


Yes, LegalZoom electronic signatures can create binding and legally enforceable agreements. LegalZoom eSignature service has been designed to comply with the Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act (ESIGN) and the Uniform Electronic Transactions Act (UETA), which are the primary U.S. laws governing the use of electronic signatures.
While electronic signatures are valid for most types of business and personal transactions, U.S. laws do create certain exceptions. The federal ESIGN Act restricts the use of electronic signatures for the following categories of documents:

  • Wills, testamentary trusts, and codicils (including any such documents obtained through LegalZoom)
  • Adoption, divorce, and other family law papers
  • Contracts governed by the Uniform Commercial Code (e.g., negotiable instruments, letters of credit, investment securities, secured transactions, other than sections 1–107 and 1–206 and Articles 2 and 2A
  • Court orders or notices or official court documents (including briefs, pleadings, and other writings) required to be executed in connection with court proceedings
  • Notice of the cancellation or termination of utility services (including water, heat, and power)
  • Notice of default, acceleration, repossession, foreclosure, or eviction, or the right to cure, under a credit agreement secured by, or a rental agreement for, a primary residence of an individual
  • Notice of the cancellation or termination of health insurance or benefits or life insurance benefits (excluding annuities)
  • Product recalls or notices of material failures that risk endangering health or safety
  • Documentation accompanying the transport of hazardous materials

Note that state electronic signature laws may contain additional exceptions to those listed above. If you have any questions regarding whether a document may be validly signed using eSignature in your jurisdiction, please seek advice from an attorney.

Yes. With LegalZoom, each transaction is secured with multiple layers of encryption, ensuring the robust security of documents. LegalZoom eSignature service uses industry-standard encryption (AES256 and TLS1.3) to enable secure cloud storage for all electronically signed documents.
At present, you can’t change a document’s expiration period after it has been sent for eSignature
No. The signer will receive an email with a document link to sign electronically.

Follow these steps to send a document for eSign:

  1. Login to your LegalZoom account and navigate to the eSignature tab on the left menu.
  2. Add your PDF document. To do so, either click on the Upload document button or simply drag and drop the file into the specified section.
  3. Add signer(s) to the Signature block(s). Please ensure each Signature block is assigned to a unique signer. Add your details to the Signature block if you are one of the signers of the document.
  4. Drag and drop the Signature block tags onto your document where you need the signer to add these details.
  5. Click the Send for eSign button on the top right corner of the screen. You will see a window pop up with signer(s) details.
  6. Verify the email address of the signer(s), type a customized message, and set a document expiration period if you want your document to be signed on or before a particular date.
  7. Click the Send for eSign button to send the document for eSignature.
Anyone who signs a document using eSignature must agree to the Electronic Record and Signature Disclosure and Agreement to do Business Electronically (ERSD). This is a legal agreement between the sender and the signer relating to the use of electronic signatures and electronic records. It also contains special provisions that may apply to transactions involving consumers. You can review the ERSD by clicking here.
To get more eSignatures after using all the eSignatures in your plan, you'll need to renew your plan or purchase a new plan that better suits your eSignature needs. You can do this by logging into your LegalZoom account and clicking on the eSignature tab in the left menu. From there, you can view plan options.
No. eSignature plans have an annual term and automatically renew. Any unused eSignatures remaining in your account at the end of the one-year term will expire and not carry forward. Similarly, if you choose to change your eSignature plan in the middle of your current plan’s billing cycle, any remaining eSignatures from your current plan will not be credited to the new plan.

After subscribing to the eSignature plan, you can find your plan and billing information in two ways:

  • Refer to your original confirmation email that contains your plan details, billing information, and receipt.
  • Log in to your LegalZoom account and click on the eSignature tab in the left nav bar. From there, you can view your plan details in the top banner.
Your eSignature usage is calculated based on the number of documents you send for signature, not the number of signers. For example, you could send one document to five different signers and this will count as only one eSignature towards your plan.

Every time you send a document for eSignature, you consume one eSignature from your plan. This is true even if the signer does not ultimately sign the document for any reason, including:

  • The email was undelivered due to an incorrect email address;
  • The signer declines to sign;
  • The signer takes no action on the document and it expires; or
  • The signer requests changes, therefore, requiring the sender to send another version;
  • The sender cancels or deletes the document.

Make sure to keep track of your remaining eSignatures under your plan to avoid running out unexpectedly.

Our paid eSignature plans are covered by our LZ Guarantee. You’ll have 30 days from the date of purchase to request a full refund.

eSignature plans are one-year plans that renew automatically on an annual basis at the then-current service price.

If you run out of eSignatures before the end of your plan’s annual term, you will need to purchase another subscription in order to send more documents for electronic signature. When you purchase a new eSignature plan, your automatic renewal date will reset to one year from the date of the most recent purchase.

To stop your eSignature plan from being auto-renewed, you may cancel your plan at any time by calling us at (833) 563-1603, Mon-Fri 5 a.m.-5 p.m. PT, or by sending an email to e‑ containing the phrase “Cancel my eSignature subscription.” Make sure to include your email address associated with your LegalZoom account.

Note that even if you cancel,

  • Your plan will remain active until the expiration of the one-year term.
  • You can continue to send documents for eSignatures until then as long as you have eSignatures remaining in your plan.
  • You'll still have access to all the signed documents in your account.

Estate planning

Both a will and a living trust are effective estate planning tools. Which one you choose depends on your particular situation. With a will, your property is given to those you want after you're gone through a court-supervised process called probate. With a living trust, your property is transferred to a trust while you're alive, avoiding the probate process after you pass away. To learn more, watch a short video, or see our comparison chart.

If you'd like more help with estate planning, you can become a member of a personal legal plan to connect with an independent attorney. A two-week trial is included with the purchase of a comprehensive package for a last will or a living trust. If you need multiple estate planning documents, you can save with our Estate Plan Bundles. The bundles come with three estate planning documents plus one year of the personal legal plan.

You have 30 days from purchase to make revisions at no additional charge. After 30 days, if you're not a legal plan member, you can make revisions for a small fee. Legal plan members can make unlimited revisions at no cost.

You can revise your estate planning documents in My Account. Once you sign in, you'll find the document under either the Completed Orders tab, or the Open Orders tab. Next to the document, click the Revise button, and make the changes you want. You'll also have the option to have your revised documents printed and shipped to you for an additional cost. Be sure to go all the way to the end of the questionnaire and click the Submit Order button.

Intellectual property

It depends on what you want to protect. If it's a name, slogan, or logo that distinguishes your product or service from competitors, you might want a trademark. If it's an original creative work, such as a book or song, a copyright is the way to go. And if it's an invention, you'll want a patent. To learn more, watch a short video, or see our comparison chart.
While your work is under some copyright protection as soon as it's created, there are many benefits to registering a copyright. You'll establish a public record of the copyright and get a certificate of registration. You also may be able to sue infringers for statutory damages and attorney's fees—not just actual damages and profits, which can be harder to prove. And if you register before or within 5 years of publication, you'll establish presumptive evidence in court that the copyright is valid. Learn more about copyrights.
Trademarks help protect business and product names, slogans, and logos, and help consumers tell brands apart. When you register your trademark, you get strong nationwide protection, and the right to file a federal lawsuit against anyone who copies it. Learn more about trademarks.
A utility patent protects how an invention works. A design patent protects how a product looks. Some inventions may qualify for design and utility patent protection, if both the design and the function are unique, and the design doesn't affect the function. Learn more about patents.
A provisional patent application protects your rights to your invention for up to a year—giving you time to perfect it, and complete your application for a utility patent. It essentially holds your place in line with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office so no one else can get the rights to the invention by filing a patent before you. Learn more about provisional applications.