Let your living will speak for you in case you can't.
Take control of your health care with our living will that takes minutes to complete. Need legal help? Schedule a call with our network attorneys today. Living wills start at $39.Start my living will
Priced according to your needs
Get a living will plus legal advice for 2 weeks after purchase. Legal advice renews monthly at $14.99. Cancel anytime.*
- 2 weeks of legal questions related to your living will, answered by our network of attorneys
- With advice, get peace of mind with your attorney's review of your living will once it's done
- Everything included with the Basic Living Will
The power of 3 documents, all in 1 package. Save 37% by bundling. Plus, legal help for 1 year. Legal advice renews annually at $119.88. Cancel anytime.**
- Get all the essentials: Living Will, Financial Power of Attorney, and a choice of Last Will or Living Trust
- 1 year of legal questions related to your estate planning, answered by our network of attorneys. Unlimited revisions included for when things change
- With advice, get peace of mind with your attorney's review of your full estate plan once it's done
Reasons to have a living will
To speak for you when you can't
A living will, also called an advance directive, gives you the power to take control over what medical treatment you do or don't want administered, in the event that you become unconscious or incapacitated.
For your friends and family
Ease the stress from the ones you love, and avoid arguments over what medical treatment you should get.
Choose your health care power of attorney
Appoint a trusted person who will ensure your health care wishes are respected.
Why choose us
Why choose us
Create and complete your living will from the comfort of your own home.
With over 700,000 living wills and counting, we've been helping our customers protect their health care wishes since 2001.
Accessible legal advice
Rely on guidance from highly-rated lawyers that you can choose from our vetted network.
Fast and easy
With our simple questionnaire, many of our customers finished their living will in under 15 minutes.
Here's how it works
Answer a short series of questions
Provide instructions for the care you do or don't want, choose your health care power of attorney, and stipulate any wish or instruction you want fulfilled.
We'll create your living will
We'll use your answers to create your living will, which you can review in your account.
Review with attorney, or on your own
Print and complete using our instructions, or have your lawyer do a final review with you over the phone.
Get answers to common questions Answers to common questions
Generally, anyone who is at least 18 years old and of sound mind can create one. "Sound mind" usually means the ability to understand what the document is, and what it contains.
Your living will takes effect when it's determined that you're in a severe medical condition defined by your state's law, with no hope of recovery, and unable to communicate your wishes. If you name someone to be in charge of your medical decisions unrelated to life support, the document goes into effect when you can't make decisions for yourself.
Doctors usually determine you've lost your decision-making ability if you can't understand your treatment choices, or communicate your wishes in any way.
A living will spells out whether you want to be resuscitated in certain circumstances, but it's not a DNR. A do not resuscitate order is a separate document prepared in consultation with, and signed by, your doctor. You can't create a DNR without a doctor's consent, and LegalZoom doesn't provide them.
Not necessarily. You should also have a discussion with your doctor, family and health care agent to make sure they understand your wishes. You may also need to update it if your health or family status changes, or to name a new health care agent.
Attorney Assist (Legal Advantage Plus) is our membership-based service that gives you access to a vetted network of attorneys in all 50 states. You can schedule calls with an attorney to get your questions answered on estate planning, to get your completed documents reviewed, or on other personal legal matters.
Get started today
Personalized to your needs. Designed by attorneys.
Customer-generated questions and answers
Customer-generated questions and answers
Call us at (866) 679-1568
Mon to Fri: 7am - 9pm CST
Weekends: 9am - 6pm CST
- *Telephone consultations with a participating firm, during normal business hours, of up to one half (1/2) hour each, limited to one consultation for each new legal matter. Excludes business-related matters. After the 14 day period, benefits to the Personal Legal Plan (also Legal Advantage Plus) continue automatically at the plan rate (currently $14.99 per month). Cancel online or by calling (877) 818-8787. For full details, see the Legal Plan Contract and Subscription Terms.
- **Telephone consultations with a participating firm, during normal business hours, of up to one half (1/2) hour each, limited to one consultation for each new legal matter. Excludes business-related matters. Benefits to the Personal Legal Plan (also Legal Advantage Plus) continue automatically at the plan rate (currently $119.88 per year). Cancel online or by calling (877) 818-8787. For full details, see the Legal Plan Contract and Subscription Terms.
- Tennessee Residents: Advisory services (also referred to as a legal plan) in TN are provided via a flat fee legal service offering from an independent law firm and are subject to your Limited Scope Representation Agreement with the firm. This portion of the LegalZoom website is an advertisement for legal services. The law firm responsible for this advertisement is LegalZoom Legal Services Ltd. LegalZoom Legal Services Ltd. is authorized and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority of England & Wales. SRA ID 617803. LegalZoom Legal Services Ltd. is a subsidiary of LegalZoom.com, Inc. LegalZoom.com, Inc. does not endorse or recommend any lawyer or law firm who advertises on our site.