Supplemental Terms of Service for Subscriptions and Third-Party Services
Welcome to the supplemental terms of service for LegalZoom.com, Inc. (“LegalZoom”) subscription products and subscription packages (collectively, the “Subscriptions”) and certain benefits or services provided by third parties and offered through LegalZoom (collectively, the “Third-Party Services”). These terms shall be referred to as “Supplemental Terms of Service for Subscriptions and Third-Party Services” or “Subscription Terms”. Certain services may be sold as standalone products, bundled with a legal plan (a “Legal Plan Bundle”), or bundled with a Basic Compliance Package or Full Service Compliance Package. Legal Advantage Plus and Business Advantage Pro are subject to the terms of LegalZoom’s Legal Plan Contract. These Subscription Terms were formerly known as the “Supplemental Terms of Service for Advantage Subscriptions and Third-Party Services” and may still be referenced under that name on the www.legalzoom.com website.
In addition to the other LegalZoom terms, these Subscription Terms constitute a legal agreement between you and LegalZoom detailing the terms of your use of Subscriptions and Third-Party Services. The Subscription Terms are effective on the date you accept them by purchasing or accepting a promotional trial of a Subscription, or by purchasing a package that includes Third-Party Services (the “Effective Date”). Please read these Subscription Terms carefully.
These Subscription Terms address benefits that may or may not be included in your specific package. The sections discussing benefits included in your package apply to you. Refer to your Welcome Email or My Account page for a complete list of your included benefits. If you are unsure which benefits are included in your package, contact Customer Care at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LegalZoom works with partners and affiliates whose websites are linked with LegalZoom and controlled by parties other than LegalZoom (each a “Third-Party Site“). LegalZoom is not responsible for and does not endorse the availability, contents, products, services, or use of any Third-Party Site, any website accessed from a Third-Party Site, or any changes to those sites. LegalZoom does not guarantee the content or quality of the products or services provided by Third-Party Sites. If you have purchased a package that includes a Third-Party Service, the third party may contact you by email or phone with instructions on how to access your benefits, and you may be required to accept additional terms that are located on the Third-Party Site.
- Legal Forms Library. If you have purchased a package that includes access to the legal forms library, the following provisions apply to you:
a. License. LegalZoom grants you a nonexclusive, nontransferable worldwide right to use the legal forms library (the “Library”) during the time period you have purchased and, for subscription memberships, while your membership remains in good standing (collectively, the “Membership Term”), subject to these Subscription Terms. This license allows you to access, download, use, and edit forms in the Library for your personal use. You may not: (i) license, sublicense, sell, resell, transfer, assign, distribute, or otherwise make available to any third party the Library or any of its contents; or (ii) modify, reproduce, reverse engineer, or make derivative works based on, referring to, or exploiting the Library, its contents, or its source code, except for modifications to the forms for your personal use. All rights not expressly granted to you are reserved by LegalZoom and its licensors.
b. No Guarantee. LegalZoom does not guarantee that any form provided in the Library is suitable for a particular purpose, or that any form included or referenced in the Library is accurate, reliable, complete or timely. The forms included or referenced in the Library are for information purposes only, and should not be relied upon as legal advice. The Library serves as a venue to view and download the forms.
c. Not Legal Advice. LegalZoom is not a law firm and does not provide legal advice or representation. The legal forms library is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney.
- Compliance Filing Service. If you have purchased a package that includes a compliance filing service, such as a Basic or Full-Service Compliance Package, the following provisions apply to you:
a. Filing Fees. You are responsible for paying government fees.
b. Responsibility to Provide Information and Payment. If additional information is required to complete a filing, you must provide it at least 15 business days before the filing due date. We will make up to five attempts to contact you to obtain the additional information – by email, SMS text message, or phone – using the phone number and email address that you have provided. It is your responsibility to update LegalZoom with changes to your contact information.
c. Eligibility. To qualify for our state-filing service, your entity must be in good standing with the state.
d. Exclusions. Local, industry-specific, licensing, and tax requirements are not included as part of this state filing service, unless specified otherwise in your package.
e. Guarantee. LegalZoom guarantees that if we miss a deadline for a filing included as part of our state filing service, we will pay the penalty. If the filing cannot be completed because of your inaction or error, or because you did not pay the filing fee, this guarantee will not apply. This guarantee does not apply to the filing of your federal and state business income tax returns by independent tax accountants.
- Compliance Calendar. If you have purchased a package that includes the LegalZoom Compliance Calendar (the “Compliance Calendar”), the following provisions apply to you:
a. License. LegalZoom grants you a nonexclusive, nontransferable worldwide license to access and use the Compliance Calendar during the Membership Term, subject to these Subscription Terms. You shall not: (i) license, sublicense, sell, resell, transfer, assign, distribute, or otherwise make available to any third party the Compliance Calendar or any of its contents; or (ii) modify, edit, reproduce, reverse engineer, alter, enhance, make derivative works based on or referring to, or in any way exploit the Compliance Calendar, its content, or its source code. All rights not expressly granted to you are reserved by LegalZoom and its licensors.
b. Compliance Alerts. The Compliance Calendar may generate email or SMS text message reminders of filing deadlines and other important dates. LegalZoom is not liable for your failure to view or read the message or inability to receive the message. The Compliance Calendar is made available to you to help you identify and comply with important deadlines. Compliance with any deadlines, whether or not referenced or communicated by email or SMS text message, is always your sole responsibility.
- Minutes Manager. If you have purchased a package that includes the LegalZoom Minutes Manager (“Minutes Manager”), the following provisions apply to you:
a. License. LegalZoom grants you a nonexclusive, nontransferable worldwide license to access and use the Minutes Manager during the Membership Term, subject to these Subscription Terms. You shall not: (i) license, sublicense, sell, resell, transfer, assign, distribute, or otherwise make available to any third party the Minutes Manager or any of its contents; or (i) modify, edit, reproduce, reverse engineer, alter, enhance, make derivative works based on or referring to, or in any way exploit the Minutes Manager, its content, or its source code. All rights not expressly granted to you are reserved by LegalZoom and its licensors.
b. No duty to keep records. Minutes Manager serves as a venue to record specific information. LegalZoom does not store Minutes Manager records indefinitely, but will retain Minutes Manager records for a minimum of five years from the date last edited by you.
- Vault Service. If you have purchased a package that includes the LegalZoom Vault Service (“Vault Service”), the following provisions apply to you:
a. Benefits. The Vault Service allows customers to electronically store copies of certain qualifying executed LegalZoom documents (each a “Vault Document”).
b. No Original Documents. Do not send your original documents (each an “Original Document”) to LegalZoom. Customers using the Vault Service are encouraged to retain Original Documents and provide LegalZoom with copies of Original Documents that will serve as Vault Documents. Customers should preserve Original Documents in a secure location. The Vault Service provides a record of, but does not serve as a repository for, Original Documents. LegalZoom will not accept Original Documents as Vault Documents. If LegalZoom believes that it has received Original Documents, it will make reasonable efforts to return those Original Documents to you. However, if you submit an Original Document and LegalZoom retains it as part of the Vault Service, it will be deemed a copy and preserved electronically as a Vault Document only. LegalZoom is not liable for preservation of Original Documents.
c. Reservation of Rights. LegalZoom may store Vault Documents in any format, including hard or electronic copies. If you provide LegalZoom with a hard copy Vault Document, you acknowledge that LegalZoom may create an electronic copy of that Vault Document and destroy the hard copy. References to “photocopy" and “copy” in LegalZoom materials, including the Site, emails, letters, guides, and brochures, do not imply that LegalZoom retains hard copies of Vault Documents. The terms “copy” and “electronic copy” are used interchangeably throughout these Subscription Terms.
- Registered Agent Services. Registered agent services are governed by a separate Supplemental Terms of Service for Registered Agent Services (“RA Terms”). If you have purchased the LegalZoom Registered Agent Services, please read the RA Terms carefully.
- 1-800Accountant Third-Party Services.
a. Consultation Services. If you have purchased a package that includes access to tax consultation services provided by Accounting Fulfillment Services, LLC aka 1-800Accountant.com (“1-800Accountant”) , the following provisions apply to you:
1) Benefits. 1-800Accountant consultation services include telephone consultations of up to 30 minutes each, limited to tax-related matters, with a 1-800Accountant certified public accountant or enrolled agent. A customer is limited to one consultation on each new tax matter.
2) Limitations. Your access to 1-800Accountant consultation services will terminate automatically when your Subscription is cancelled or terminated.
b. Business Income Tax Preparation Services. If you have purchased a package that includes 1-800Accountant business income tax preparation services (the “Tax Preparation Services”), the following provisions apply to you:
1) Benefits. As part of the Tax Preparation Services and unless specified otherwise in your purchase, 1-800Accountant will prepare and file one federal and, where applicable, one state business income tax return for you (or one federal and state personal tax return for pass-through entities). 1-800Accountant will also file all required (as determined by 1-800Accountant) corresponding forms, schedules, and attachments. 1-800Accountant will complete these filings electronically where available.
2) Limitations. You may purchase tax preparation and filing services for additional members, managers, or partners from 1-800Accountant separately for an additional fee.
c. Compliance Filing Services. If you have purchased a package that includes preparation and filing of specified tax-related forms by 1-800Accountant, the following provisions apply to you:
1) Filing Fees. You are responsible for paying government filing fees.
2) Benefits. 1-800Accountant will prepare and file the tax-related forms specified in your order, as well as (as determined by 1-800Accountant) all corresponding forms, schedules, and attachments. 1-800Accountant will complete these filings electronically where available.
3) Responsibility to Provide Information and Payment. If additional information is required to complete a filing, you must provide it to 1-800Accountant at least 15 days before the filing due date. 1-800Accountant may reach out to you by email, text message, or phone.
1) LegalZoom does not provide tax advice or services. Tax professionals made available through 1-800Accountant are third-party independent contractors who agree to provide tax services directly to you, not through LegalZoom. LegalZoom does not guarantee the substance of the tax professionals’ advice. 1-800Accountant is not affiliated with attorneys made available through Legal Plans.
2) Consultations scheduled through the LegalZoom member center for 1-800Accountant services are transmitted via 1-800Accountant’s proprietary software. 1-800Accountant makes this service available for your convenience. LegalZoom is not liable for any interruptions or delays in this service.
- Dun & Bradstreet Third-Party Services. If you have purchased a package that includes access to CreditAlert™ services provided by Dun & Bradstreet, a division of Dun & Bradstreet, Inc., (“DBCC Services”), the following provisions apply to you:
1) You will be contacted by Dun & Bradstreet and, if your entity is already formed, you will receive a unique numeric identifier for your business (“DUNS Number”) through Dun & Bradstreet, Inc. If your entity is not yet formed, you will receive your DUNS Number following formation.
2) After you receive your DUNS Number, you will receive real-time notifications of changes to your file that may affect your business credit score.
3) After you receive your DUNS Number, you will receive alerts related to major company events such as suits, liens, and judgments.
b. Limitations. Your access to DBCC Services will terminate automatically on the earlier to occur of: (i) the cancellation of the Legal Plan Bundle or Subscription; or (ii) the termination of LegalZoom’s agreement with Dun & Bradstreet.
- Fees. If you purchase a Subscription, you must pay all charges to your account relating to that Subscription, including applicable taxes and fees for the use of additional features not included as part of your Subscription. You will be charged in accordance with the billing terms in effect at the time of your initial purchase. If you purchase a Subscription that is charged in full on purchase, in each renewal period for that Subscription, you must pay the total cost of the next subscription period by the first day of that period. For each Subscription, your charge remains for each subscription period no matter if you access the services or Site during any subscription term. In other words, EVEN IF YOU DO NOT USE THE SUBSCRIPTION, INCLUDING ACCESSING THE LIBRARY, CREATING MINUTES USING THE MINUTES MANAGER, OR ANY THIRD-PARTY SERVICES, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR SUBSCRIPTION FEES UNTIL YOU CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION OR IT IS OTHERWISE TERMINATED. For more information about canceling your Subscription, see the Termination and Cancellation section below.
- Billing. You must provide valid credit card information at the time of purchase to allow payment for the initial Membership Term of a Subscription.
For any automatically renewing Subscriptions, your Subscription will renew at the end of the initial Membership Term (the “Billing Date”) and at the end of each successive Membership Term, until you notify us that you want to terminate your Subscription under these Subscription Terms or your Subscription is otherwise terminated. If you do not notify us, your credit card will automatically be charged for the renewal term of your Subscription on your Billing Date. If your purchase date is on the 29th through 31st day of any month, your Billing Date for renewals in months with fewer days will fall on the last day of the month. LegalZoom may adjust your Billing Date in subsequent renewal periods without notice. This will be reflected by a charge to your account on a pro-rated basis according to the number of days that have passed since the Billing Date of your latest renewal charge. Unless LegalZoom otherwise notifies you in advance under these Subscription Terms, the renewal charge will be equal to the original purchase price for the Subscription.
You must pay LegalZoom the fees associated with your Subscription. Additional discounts may be available for members purchasing multiple months up front or as part of certain promotions.
- Notice of Automatic Renewal. We may send a reminder email to your account’s email address of record approximately one week before your Billing Date. This notice is provided only as a courtesy. LegalZoom is not obligated to provide this notice. You acknowledge that (i) your failure to read, (ii) your inability to receive, or (iii) LegalZoom’s failure to send the email creates no liability for LegalZoom or any Third-Party Service.
- Promotional Trial Memberships. We sometimes offer customers trial memberships, all of which are subject to these Subscription Terms (unless otherwise stated in the offer). AT THE END OF A TRIAL MEMBERSHIP, UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED IN THE OFFER OR YOU CANCEL BY CALLING (888) 310-0151, YOUR SUBSCRIPTION WILL RENEW AUTOMATICALLY AND YOUR CREDIT CARD WILL BE CHARGED TO BEGIN YOUR INITIAL MEMBERSHIP TERM.
Use of Service
- General Practices. You acknowledge that LegalZoom may establish general practices and limits concerning use of its Subscriptions or Third-Party Services, including the maximum number of forms you may access in the Library in a given period of time, the number of times (and the maximum duration for which) you may access the Library in a given period of time, the maximum number of days that data, schedules, calendars, or other uploaded content will be retained by the Compliance Calendar or Minutes Manager, and the maximum disk space that will be allotted on LegalZoom’s servers on your behalf.
LegalZoom is not liable for the deletion of or failure to store any content maintained or transmitted by any Subscription benefit.
LegalZoom may subcontract any obligations required under a Subscription without your consent.
- Responsibility for Misuse. You may not: (i) license, sublicense, sell, resell, transfer, assign, distribute, or otherwise make available to any party the benefits granted to you by or any content in your Subscription; or (ii) change, reproduce, reverse engineer, make derivative works based on or referring to, or in any way exploit the licenses you have been granted with your Subscription, or content or source code in your Subscription.
You are responsible for all expenses incurred or other actions that may occur through your use of a Subscription. You must alert us immediately of any fraudulent, unauthorized, illegal, or suspicious use of a Subscription or Subscription benefits, or any other breach of security or unauthorized or illegal activity that you reasonably suspect.
- Authority to Enter Agreement. If you are entering into these Subscription Terms on behalf of a company or other legal entity, you represent that you have the legal authority to bind that entity to these terms and understand that the terms “you” or “your” refer to that entity. If you do not have that authority or if you do not agree with these Subscription Terms, you may not sign up for or use any Subscription or Third-Party Service. If after your purchase we find that you do not have authority to bind the entity for which you ordered, you will be personally responsible for the obligations in these Subscription Terms and the order you placed, including all payment obligations. LegalZoom is not liable for any loss or damage resulting from our reliance on any communication reasonably believed by us to be genuine and originating from an authorized representative of your company. If there is reasonable doubt about the authenticity of any communication, we may, but are not obliged to, require additional authentication from your company.
- Changes to Subscriptions.
a. General Changes. LegalZoom may discontinue the offering of a Subscription, including the functionality, content, or availability of any features of Subscriptions or Third-Party Services, at any time in its sole discretion. We may also impose limits on features and services or restrict your access to all or part of the Subscription. However, you have the right to cancel your membership should we materially decrease benefits.
If we add new features to a Subscription, including releasing new forms in the Library or adding Third-Party Services, the new features will be subject to these Subscription Terms.
b. Fee Adjustments. LegalZoom may increase Subscription fees by notifying you of new fees at least 30 days before the beginning of a renewal term. The new fees will be effective on the first day of the renewal term. If you do not cancel your subscription, you will be deemed to have accepted the new fees for the renewal term and subsequent renewal terms (unless the fees are increased in the same manner for a subsequent renewal term). Reductions in fees become effective on the first day of the next renewal term without a pro rata adjustment for the period covered under the prior fee schedule.
Termination or Cancellation
- By LegalZoom.
a. LegalZoom may terminate your use of all or part of the Subscriptions or Third-Party Services in its sole discretion. As your sole remedy, we will refund to you any prepaid fees specifically related to the current term of that Subscription or Third-Party Service.
b. If you do not pay on the Billing Date, as described in the Billing section above, you can correct your credit card information and pay the outstanding amounts before the one-month anniversary of your Billing Date. If you have not made any payment on your Subscription by the one-month anniversary of your Billing Date, LegalZoom may suspend your service and terminate that Subscription.
c. Your right to use a Subscription is subject to any limits established by LegalZoom or by your credit card issuer. If payment cannot be charged to your credit card or your charge is returned for any reason, including through a chargeback, LegalZoom may, in its sole and absolute discretion, suspend or terminate your access and account, which will terminate these Subscription Terms and our obligations under them. If a charge made to your credit card is declined, LegalZoom may make up to five attempts to bill that card over a thirty-day period.
d. If you wish to reactivate your account after a termination, there will be no setup or reactivation fees. However, if your account was terminated for nonpayment, it will be reactivated only after LegalZoom receives the full amount past due. If an expired account is reactivated, the new term begins on the reactivation date.
- By Subscriber.
a. You may examine these Subscription Terms for ten days after you have received them. If during this period you decide that you are not satisfied with the Subscription Terms, you may have any prepaid amounts refunded, and these Subscription Terms will be considered voided as if they had not been issued.
b. You may cancel your Subscription at any time by calling our Customer Care Center at (888) 310-0151. After you have cancelled, your Subscription will remain active until the end of then-current period.
- Services After Termination. After your Subscription is terminated or your Membership Term has ended, you will not be able to access the corresponding Subscription offerings.
- Dispute Resolution. The parties shall arbitrate all disputes and claims pursuant to the Dispute Resolution by Binding Arbitration section of the Terms of Service.
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Circular 230 Tax Advice Disclosure. To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS under Circular 230, we inform you that any U.S. federal tax advice contained in any communication from LegalZoom is and was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (a) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (b) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any matters addressed therein.
22. NO GUARANTEE. LAWS, REGULATIONS, AND ADMINISTRATIVE REQUIREMENTS CHANGE OFTEN, AND THEIR APPLICATION AND IMPACT VARY FROM COMPANY TO COMPANY AND INDUSTRY TO INDUSTRY. FORMS, EMAILS AND SMS TEXT MESSAGE COMMUNICATIONS ARE NOT INTENDED TO PROVIDE OR SUBSTITUTE FOR ACCOUNTING, LEGAL, BUSINESS, TAX, OR OTHER PROFESSIONAL ADVICE OR SERVICES. THEY ARE OFFERED FOR INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY. COMPLIANCE WITH ALL LAWS AND REGULATIONS REMAINS YOUR SOLE AND ABSOLUTE RESPONSIBILITY. BEFORE TAKING ANY BUSINESS OR LEGAL ACTION BASED ON INFORMATION FROM THE SITE, THE LIBRARY OR ANY EMAIL OR SMS TEXT MESSAGE COMMUNICATION, YOU SHOULD CONSULT WITH A FINANCIAL OR LEGAL PROFESSIONAL TO VERIFY DEADLINES AND DETERMINE WHETHER SUCH ACTIONS ARE APPROPRIATE FOR YOU BASED ON YOUR PERSONAL OR BUSINESS NEEDS. WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE COMPLIANCE PACKAGE FILING GUARANTEE, NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, ARE GIVEN REGARDING THE LEGAL OR OTHER CONSEQUENCES RESULTING FROM THE USE OF ANY SUBSCRIPTION.