LegalZoom 100% Satisfaction Guarantee

Learn more about
our guarantee

LegalZoom in The News
Home | Business & Tax | DBA | Indiana DBA

Form an Indiana DBA

If you've heard of a "Doing Business As" or a "fictitious business name," you've heard of a DBA. Get started today and let LegalZoom help you get one. A DBA is what you need to open bank accounts and legally transact business with the name of your venture. LegalZoom makes filing your DBA a quick process, one you can do online from the comfort of your computer. Get your paperwork out of the way and get back to work.

INDIANA STATUTORY GUIDELINES customizes your legal DBA filing to comply with local requirements, no matter where you live. However, if you're interested in the specifics, they are listed below.

One does not have to file a DBA if the business name includes the true name of a person, or is stated in the articles of incorporation, certificate of authority, certificate of limited partnership, application for registration or articles of organization (applicable to foreign businesses). Also, one does not have to file a DBA if a church, lodge, or association of a business when filed at the County Recorder's Office by trustees under a written instrument or declaration of trust. It should be noted that violation of procedures constitutes a Class B violation.

When filing a DBA in Indiana, one is required to provide the name and address of the business, and the name and address of the owner. If one is dealing with a corporation, LLC, or limited partnership, the name and address of the principal office in Indiana is required. If there is no office in Indiana, a corporation or limited partnership (not an LLC) must file the name of the business, the name of the registered agent, and the address of the registered office in the county where the registered office is located.

From a procedural standpoint, one must file with the County Recorder in each county where a place of business is located. If it is a corporation, limited partnership, or LLC, one must file a copy of the DBA with the Secretary of State. If the principal office is not in Indiana, then one is required to file in the county where the registered office is located.

If the business dissolves, one must file a notice of dissolution with the County Recorder. Also, a notice of discontinuance must be filed with the County Recorder and the Secretary of State.