Filing a DBA in Virginia - Fictious Business Name (FBN) | LegalZoom
LegalZoom 100% Satisfaction Guarantee

Learn more about
our guarantee

LegalZoom in The News
Home | Business & Tax | DBA | Virginia DBA

Form a Virginia DBA

Register your DBA today! With a registered Virginia DBA (also known as Doing Business As or fictitious business name), you will have the power to open bank accounts and legally transact business using the name of your new venture. Additionally, you will have exclusive rights to use the name of your business in Virginia. Let LegalZoom help you cross another thing off of your to do list.

VIRGINIA STATUTORY GUIDELINES customizes your legal DBA filing to comply with local requirements, no matter where you live. However, if you're interested in the specifics, they are listed below.

In Virginia, no person, partnership, LLC or corporation must use a DBA to intentionally misrepresent its geographic location. Also prohibited are names that are not distinguishable from the names of other business entities. Any person violating any of the provisions of this chapter must be guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be punished by a fine or by confinement in jail for not more than one year, or both.

For a person, partnership, LLC, or corporation, one must provide the name under which business is to be conducted, the names of each person, partnership, LLC or corporation owning the same, the post-office and residence addresses, and if it is a foreign limited partnership or LLC, the date of the certificate of registration to transact business in Virginia; or, if a foreign corporation, the date of the certificate of authority to transact business in Virginia must be filed with the County Clerk.

A person, partnership, LLC, or corporation must file a certificate including the details above with the County Clerk / Circuit Court. A limited partnership, LLC or corporation must file a copy of certificate with State Corporation Commission. The State Corporation Commission must charge a ten-dollar fee for the filing of a DBA.

Limited partnerships, LLCs or corporations may file a release certificate with the clerk of the State Corporation Commission a copy of a release certificate when business is no longer conducted in Virginia under a DBA. The Commission must charge a fee for this filing.