Knowledge Center

Nonprofit FAQ

I want to influence legislation, lobby or assist a certain political candidate. Can I be a 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization?

501(c)(3)s are prohibited from any type of political activity, unless it is to a slight, incidental extent. Even then, the activity is closely regulated. If you want to be a political organization, you can register for a 501(c)(4) organization, which covers social and welfare groups.

An example of a political organization is You may apply for tax exempt status under section 501(c)(4). However, donations are still not tax deductible for donors.

Banner Icon Make today the day you start something amazing Form your Nonprofit. Get Started